Some of the links on our website are affiliate. If you decide to make a purchase, we’ll get a small commission at no cost to you
Cat years to human years
Want to convert cat years to human years? You've probably heard that you can multiply one cat year by seven to get the answer you're looking for. But that's not true.
While there is no straightforward answer to the question "How many human years in a cat year," you can calculate cat age in human years using these estimations:
- the first cat year is equal to 15 human years;
- the second cat year equals 9 more human years (so a 2-year-old cat is 24 in human age;
- after that, each cat year is approximately 4 human years.
Cat to human years calculator
Convert cat years to human years using our online cat age calculator:
Knowing your cat's age in human years is a good idea. You'll know if your furry friend is young or old, what behaviour to expect from him and so you'll understand your cat better!
So now you can find out your cat's human age equivalent. For example:
|Cat age||Human age|
|7 months||12 years|
|1 year||15 years|
|2 years||24 years|
|3 years||28 years|
|4 years||32 years|
|5 years||36 years|
|7 years||44 years|
|9 years||52 years|
|10 years||56 years|
|12 years||64 years|
|13 years||68 years|
|15 years||76 years|
|18 years||88 years|
|20 years||96 years|
How do cats age?
Cats live through 6 main life stages:
- From birth to 6 months - kittens
- From 7 months to 2 years – junior cat
- From 2 years to 6 years – adult cat
- From 7 years to 10 years – mature cat
- From 10 years to 14 years – senior cat
- From 15 years and older – super senior cat
The oldest cat recorded was Cream Puff, who died at the age of 38 years and 3 days (which equals 168 human years!).