Some of the links on our website are affiliate. If you decide to make a purchase, we’ll get a small commission at no cost to you
Basset Hound age in human years
Basset Hound is a medium-sized dog breed, renowned for its loyal, affectionate character. Although Basset Hounds are small-game hunting dogs, they are also great family pets, but not so easy to train.
With a lifespan that ranges from 12 to 13 years, the average Basset Hound lives for about 12.5 years, which is longer than the average dog life expectancy. They are prone to certain health issues like ear infection, gastric torsion, hip dysplasia and others.
To ensure you dog's long and happy life, provide your Basset Hound with proper care and attention, including regular exercise, a healthy diet, and regular veterinary check-ups.
As a Basset Hound owner, you may be curious about your dog's age in human years. To know that, you can use the estimates for medium-sized breeds and apply to your dog's age:
- the first Basset Hound's year equals 15 human years;
- the second year adds 9 more years to the human age;
- when they reach the age of 6 years, Basset Hounds are roughly 42 years in human age;
- each subsequent year equals 4-5 years in human years.
Here’s a table you can use to find a Basset Hound age equivalent in human years:
|Basset Hound age||Human age|
|1 year||15 years|
|2 years||24 years|
|3 years||28 years|
|4 years||32 years|
|5 years||36 years|
|6 years||42 years|
|7 years||47 years|
|8 years||51 years|
|9 years||56 years|
|10 years||60 years|
|11 years||65 years|
|12 years||69 years|
|13 years||74 years|
|14 years||78 years|
|15 years||83 years|
|16 years||87 years|
|17 years||92 years|
|18 years||96 years|
|19 years||101 years|
|20 years||105 years|
Some interesting facts:
- At roughly 18 months old, Basset Hounds are regarded as adults.
- They are renowned for being a peaceful and relaxed breed, and while they may occasionally exhibit lively puppy behaviour as they age, they generally become less animated and more placid.
- Around the age of 6 to 8 years, Basset Hounds are regarded as senior canines.