Some of the links on our website are affiliate. By making a purchace via our links, you help us create new content and support animal shelters and funds
Chihuahua age in human years
Chihuahua is a small dog breed adored for loyal character, charming personality, and a big-dog attitude.
If you have a Chihuahua, you might wonder how old your dog is in human years. To answer this question, first, you need to know your Chihuahua's dog age. Then convert dog age to human years using these estimations:
- a 1-year-old Chihuahua is 15 in human years;
- a 2-year-old Chihuahua is 24 in human age;
- each subsequent year adds 4 years to human years.
Here’s a table you can use to find a Chihuahua age equivalent in human years:
|Chihuahua age||Human age|
|1 year||15 years|
|2 years||24 years|
|3 years||28 years|
|4 years||32 years|
|5 years||36 years|
|6 years||40 years|
|7 years||44 years|
|8 years||48 years|
|9 years||52 years|
|10 years||56 years|
|11 years||60 years|
|12 years||64 years|
|13 years||68 years|
|14 years||72 years|
|15 years||76 years|
|16 years||80 years|
|17 years||84 years|
|18 years||88 years|
|19 years||92 years|
|20 years||96 years|
Chihuahuas live from 14 to 16 years. Their average lifespan is 15 years (which is longer than the average dog lifespan). They are prone to some genetic health issues, but most of them are not fatal.
In human years, a Chihuahua lives from 72 to 80 years.
Some interesting facts:
- 8 weeks - this is a minimum legal age when a Chihuahua puppy can be adopted. It’s the time when the pups make a complete switch to solid foods;
- Female Chihuahuas are thought to live 1 or 2 years longer than males;
- Female Chihuahuas get their first periods at the age of 6 months old, but the best time to breed is after they become adults;
- Chihuahua TobyKeith is considered the oldest Chihuahua. On 16 March 2022 he had his record verified at the age of over 21 years (over 100 years in human age equivalen).